Did you recently fall in love with the hotel toiletries of your favorite hotel? Is it okay if you take it home with you? Do you even know what’s allowed to take home?
It may seem like a silly question, but there are certain etiquettes to follow. You may like the smell of your lotion or the foamy shampoo! Hotel toiletries may remind you of your precious childhood. It was fun to stay at hotels with your parents. It was probably the best time of your life.
Now the question here is whether you are allowed to take hotel toiletries or not!
Let’s dig in.
What are Hotel Toiletries?
Hotel toiletries are the basic items that a hotel provides the guest for personal grooming and care. It may include lotion, shampoo, toilet soap, conditioner, and even a shaving razor. It varies from hotel to hotel. The purpose of such items is to make the guest feel at home. With such essentials, the guest can enjoy their stay at the hotel.
Can You Take Hotel Toiletries?
Honestly, when in doubt, ask! It’s as simple as that! You just have to call the front desk and ask whether you may take certain items home or not. Usually, the disposable shampoo, lotion, soap, and conditioner are yours to take. You can also grab the toothbrush or the shaving kit if the hotel provides it. But, again, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Hotel soap: You can see the hotel soap in your bathroom. It’s usually in small packets that are appealing to the eyes. You can wash your hands with hotel soap. You can ask for more from the front desk to use while staying at the hotel.
Shampoo: The shampoo is in a disposable bottle. It’s yours to use.
Lotion: Give some hydration to your dry skin by using the hotel’s disposable lotion.
Conditioner: You can also expect to see a disposable conditioner bottle.
Shaving razor: A hotel can give you a shaving razor too. Not all hotels may provide a shaving razor. So if you can’t see it anywhere, you better ask the reception and see what they have to say.
Toothbrush: What if you forgot to pack the toothbrush? The hotel can give you one! Again, check with the front desk.
What About Hotel Slippers and Bathrobe?
Some guests may want to take the hotel slippers home. Hotels usually throw away the hotel slippers when the guests leave. Plus, nobody will like to wear such slippers! So, slippers are yours to take home. But, again, when in doubt, ask! On the other hand, bathrobes are a different story. Some hotels, especially those that are luxurious and high-end, may gift the bathrobe, while others provide the opportunity to buy from them. So, you have to see what your hotel practice when it comes to the bathrobes.
There are certain items that you must never take from the hotel, such as:
- Hotel furniture: Hotel furniture gives you the feeling of home away from home. But bear in mind that it’s not your home. No, not at all! It’s there to give you comfort, but no matter how lovely it looks, it’s not yours!
- Coffee maker: You love the smell of the coffee. Although the complimentary coffee is yours, you can’t take the coffee maker with you. It’s there for all the guests who will stay in that room.
- Wooden hangers: You can’t take the wooden hangers. It’s there to hang your clothes.
- Iron: The iron is to press your wrinkled clothes. It’s not yours to take home.
- Alarm clock: The alarm clock can wake you up in the morning, but you can’t take it with you.
- Lamps: The beautiful lamps and nightstands are there for decoration. It’s not your property at all.
- Towels: You can’t take the towels.
There are many other items that you can’t take! Just ask the front desk to double-check when you are not sure. Also, check if the hotel offers to sell the products online.
When you are staying at a hotel, there are certain tips to remember:
- First, make sure you know what items are free and what comes with a cost. Some hotels may sell the products, so if you like a product, you can buy it. Second, you must know the etiquette of staying at a hotel. Not everything is free! The hotel is trying to give you a fantastic experience.
- There are certain items that you can’t take at all! For example, coffee maker, TV, pillows, bedsheets, blanket, etc. However, if the hotel sells such items, you can easily purchase brand new ones.
- No matter how desperate you feel, it’s worse to steal. In some countries, you can face strong consequences. Your self-esteem and worth are more important than anything else.
- When booking your stay at the hotel, you can email them or ask via online chat if they carry certain items, for example, shaving razors, toothbrushes, etc. When you ask, it will be easy for you to pack the items in your bag accordingly.
- There is also complimentary stuff in the hotel like free coffee, sugar packets, etc. These items are for your use so that you can enjoy breakfast. The hotels try to give you maximum comfort during your stay at the hotel.
During your stay at a hotel, you can take advantage of the hotel toiletries. But when you check out, you may want to grab the hotel toiletries with you! If that’s the case, you can grab the disposable shampoo, lotion, conditioner, and soap as they can come in handy during travel. However, when in doubt, it’s always better to ask in the first place.
The hotel toiletries can remind you of your pleasant stays, but always make sure you know what you are doing! Being content at heart is more important. So only grab the items that you can.